Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tony Hillerman


Tony Hillerman, is my favorite author, even though his books don't exactly qualify as cozy. His Navajo sleuths, Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn, find themselves in tense, spine tingling situations.With cozies you know the hero/heroine is going to survive. With Hillerman I am only 95 per cent sure. I think he read Zane Grey himself. He has this terrific sense of place. So did Emily Bronte but I will save her for later. My favorite Hillerman book is 'Coyote Waits'.

Maybe it's Chee or Leaphorn, the plot twist, or just my admiration for the stubborn, adaptable coyote. Anyway it's a great read as is Dancehall of the Dead, Hunting Badger and A Thief of Time. Heck they are all great. Start reading.


The Blessing Way '70
Dance Hall of the Dead '73
Listening Woman '78
People of Darkness '80
The Dark Wind '82
The Ghostway '84
Skinwalkers '86
Thief of Time '88
Talking God '89
Coyote Waits '90
Sacred Clowns '93
The Fallen Man '96
The First Eagle '98
Hunting Badger '99
The Wailing Wind '02
The Sinister Pig '03
Skeleton Man '04
The Shape Shifter '06

No comments: