Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mysteries and Me

I discovered Mysteries somewhere between Zane Grey and Louis L'amour, To be more exact it was between third grade (Zane) and sixth grade (L'amour). Yes I read westerns in the third grade. I took the habit up from my Grandmother's sister. She had seven? eight? Husbands. Whatever- one of them left her a comlete set of Zane Grey. She had read Grey herself when she was younger. To be sure she named her only son,Wansfell, after the character in Wanderer of the Wasteland. That became my favorite Grey novel although she herself preferred the more heralded book, Riders of the Purple Sage. Maybe she should have named him Lassiter.

Then I discovered Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Trixie Belden and The reinvented Bobbsey Twins. Later came Louis, who I still love as I do Zane Grey,but the magic of who done it had crept into my bones or maybe my blood and there it remains. Mysteries are everywhere now. I can't possibly read them all, especially since the computer has hexed me, but I shall keep trying,valiant to the end.

No comments: